The Opinionated Cafe

The Opinionated Cafe is designed to give you different opinions about dinning out in the Triad.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Giovanni's...redefining the sushi bar

Well, my husband has baited the hook with the dead fish jokes and it's time for me to reel you into the story...

It was our first visit to Giovanni's and we were treated to a special table next to the live saltwater fish tank. Almost immediately after being seated I noticed there was a dead fish in the bottom of the tank staring up at me. I informed the waiter and he genuinely seemed concerned for about 30 seconds. Throughout the evening I had the pleasure of watching several crab-like creatures and a white millipede-looking sea serpent dine on the dead fish.

Unfortunately the only pleasant thing I can say about our evening was that the wine was good. I started my meal with the melon and prosciutto appetizer. Now I know this is a very 90's style of appetizer but I can't resist honeydew and ham! The melon was refreshing but the presentation was very sloppy...basically piles of prosciutto on a plate with some fruit.

Moving on to the salad course. The house salad was supposed to be a mix of romaine and mixed greens...case #1 of the menu not matching reality...there were no mixed greens. For the life of me I can't figure out why Giovanni's doesn't take advantage of local ingredients like Giaccomo's fresh mozzarella for their salads. Instead I got small chunks of rubbery "buffalo milk" mozzarella...last I checked there aren't any buffalo roaming around in Greensboro. Oh by the way, a small sea urchin was now feasting on the eyeball of the fish in the tank...yummy!

For my main course I ordered the seafood risotto. It takes true talent to make a good risotto and I'm afraid Giovanni's failed miserably at this task. First of all the menu described it as having scallops, shrimp, clams, and calamari. Case #2 of a faulty menu description...no calamari and a load of mussels. Did I mention that I don't eat mussels and I certainly would not have ordered the risotto had I know it would have mussels in it! When I brought this to the waiter's attention the chef informed him that "no, it is not on the menu but I like to add my own little twist." Their compromise was to bring me two extra shrimp. Did I mention it only had one shrimp in it to begin with? All of the seafood in the dish was overcooked and the risotto had very little flavor. It was swimming (unlike my dead little nemo friend) in tomato broth. Again the presentation was sloppy.

I'm afraid Giovanni's may end up swimming with the fishes too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home